Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Woman on the Thirteenth Floor

I had the opportunity to read this short story in class and I feel that many of us would put ourselves in her place. As I was reading this story, I was picturing the situation in my head. Hanging from the 13th floor, ironically because there aren't any 13th floors in any building due to "bad luck". Loneliness, having no one there to help her out in what she was dealing with, was one of many factors that brought this woman to that 13th floor. The sense of hopelessness has brought her to suicidal ideation. The most shocking part of the story for me was when people were shouting to jump down. I believe that in that moment, her decision was life or death. I would put myself in that place where I've had to hold on to God's hand in order to withstand the circumstances in life and recovering myself and my identity and go forth. There will always be a crowd who would just want you to jump down and give up but we have to think that in the midst of the storm we can still find peace and joy through Christ who is our daily strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment